How Long Does it take to Naturally Reduce Cholesterol Levels?

Cholesterol is an essential substance in your body required for good health, however, too much of it can lead to the buildup of arterial plaque. As arteries become blocked, the risk of heart attack increases. According to the American Heart Association (AHA), 75 percent of your total calorie level is manufactured within your own body while the remaining 25 percent enters your body in the food you eat. Dietary cholesterol is only found in animal products, such as dairy, eggs, meats and fish. You can improve your cholesterol levels surprisingly quickly using all-natural techniques.

Good vs. Bad Cholesterol

There is a “good” type of cholesterol and a “bad” type. High density lipoproteins, or HDL, cholesterol is known as the good type. This cholesterol helps to remove the bad cholesterol from your body. The bad cholesterol is called low-density lipoproteins, or LDL, cholesterol. This is the waxy substance that can buildup in your arteries and ultimately lead to heart disease. Improving your cholesterol score involves lowering your LDL score while at the same time increasing your HDL score.

How Long?

Eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly — 30 to 60 minutes each day — will give you results quickly. According to Dr. William Haynes, M.D., of the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, modifying your diet to include fewer saturated fats, no trans fats and less dietary cholesterol can lower your LDL cholesterol within just two to four weeks. Within about three months, a low-fat diet plan will yield even greater results in terms of lowering your cholesterol.

Exercise has the effect of increasing HDL cholesterol levels to further improve your total cholesterol score. Additionally, it can significantly reduce your risk of heart disease by increasing the total number of blood vessels in the heart and your entire cardiovascular system.

Although eating a low-fat, low-sodium diet can help greatly reduce your cholesterol levels, in some cases it may not be enough. Talk to your doctor about cholesterol medications that can also help keep your cholesterol in check.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.